Tuesday, 1 November 2011

In A Former Life...




Here's a story for you:


Once upon a time, a shy girl's dream came true when she became a hairdresser. Yes, I'm talking about me! It was always what I wanted to do, ever since I was a little girl. The photo is of me giving our eldest her first haircut, just before the tears started! Her's not mine!!

When I was given a chance to fulfill this dream, I never looked back. I overcame some obstacles that popped up in my way (as they invariably do!) and was a hairdresser for over 15 years,  also a salon owner for the last 3 of those 15 years.



I took this photo at hair competitions in Melbourne a few years ago.


In the hairdressing industry you see a lot of people come and go, it's never as glamorous in reality as it appears from the outside. I never thought it would happen to me; that I would become a hairdressing statistic and leave the industry. But I did. The universe knows best! I lost my passion and I'd always said that if I ever lost my passion for it, I'd give it up. I couldn't do a job half heartedly, my clients would know. I've never been a good liar or actor, everything I feel shows on my face or body language.

Soon after the decision to leave was made, I fell pregnant with child number 2 and have been hanging around with them at home ever since. Leaving work has been a lot harder than I thought it'd be, but I get to take this time to really just be with my two skadoos. I also now get time to allow my creativity to roam free, and figure out what my next passion is!



Having said all that, I do miss all things hair, especially the people! I still keep up with whats in fashion with hair, it's just something I've always done. When I was working in the salon I was usually pretty fashion forward. My look has generally been whatever everyone else isn't doing. I would like to do things first, and by the time everyone else starts wearing it, I've moved onto the next thing! I dislike wearing (hair or clothes) that everyone else is. I'm not extremely way out though, just a little quirky. Gotta love quirky!

I've found it harder to be quirky when I'm just at home. I tend to dress for comfort and easily get stuck in a rut. What do you wear when you're just at home? I'm also not as worried about what's 'in' with clothes, I just want to wear my own style. What I love and what suits me and things that no-one else has. I find a lot of awesome stuff at the op shops now (thrift store) which I supplement with stuff from my friend's shop or from mainstream stores in Melbourne, when I get there.

So, there's a little more about me! Stay tuned for some posts about hair, I've got heaps of tips and I'm very happy to share them with you!


Have a wonderful week,

Courts x

1 comment:

daiseyjayne said...

I'm a hairdresser also! I can relate to your post. I will soon be opening a salon here in CT and will be knee deep in all things hair ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...