Monday, 12 September 2011

Not Another Chair?!

You've probably guessed that I have a little bit of a chair obsession going on! I'll admit it, I love chairs! I have re-spiced many a chair and have plans for plenty more.

A friend of ours who was here a couple of weeks ago said "You know you have seating for 20 people in here?"  He was referring to our Kitchen/Dining/Lounge room, which is massive, and no I had not realised that. Is that bad?! I counted them up again yesterday and I can confidently say that if 23 people swung by at the same time, they'd all have a seat and we'd all be in the same room! Probably not gonna happen very often, but I'm prepared for it!!

So, believe it or not.........this post is not about a chair!!
I finally finished a low sideboard that I've been working on for a while. It has been going on through my 'Stripes From Fast and Furious' period, which you can read about here, so it has been striped! Which is why it took me so long. The paint bled through the tape both ways so it got extra coats!

The before:



Sorry I didn't get a pic with the drawers still in, but imagine dark brown timber with two handles on each drawer, both set on an angle! Nice!! I'm thinking 80's?
Tone put a new top on for me as the old one was rotten MDF. I'm so lucky to have a tradie husband who can do anything I ask of him AND put up with all my questions while he's working!! I'm all "Why are you doing it that way?" and he's all "Because I am." Not really, most of the time he answers me and I actually learn something!

So here it is in all it's striped glory:





Yeah. It was a lot of trouble for two little stripes. But man they look good!!! I'm so Mclovin it! (That's what the 'M' stands for!!)



This is finished in high gloss, so it's shiny,shiny! Another current love.
Oh and did you notice the water color on the top? My Great-Aunt painted that during WW2 (early 1940's) and it was in the Australian Womens Weekly magazine back then! I also have another one she did that was on the cover of the same mag! I'd love to get a copy of it one day.

Please scroll down a little and tell me what you think, I really do appreciate your comments and the fact that you take time out of your day to read this! If you have a blog, leave your URL so I can come and visit and see what you've been up to! Oh and I'd love for you to follow me.


Courts x

Linking to:

Domestically Speaking

grabttSaved by Suzy

10 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

oh awesome! love those happy bright stripes on it- they totally make it!

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

I love this redo! The stripes really make a bug impact. Great job!

Decor & Harmony @ 4290 said...

Snazzy I say! Love the pop of orange and the mention of your Great Aunt's picture. I'm your newest follower stop by for a blog visit!

Pamma said...

I love this! Snappy, crisp and gorgeous!
And I love it that you have 23 chairs..psst, I love chairs too!
~Pam
pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

Bianca said...

love, love, love it!!!! love the blog! so excited to see it! xxx

Amy of The Salvage Collection said...

love the spark from those hot stripes! and it's such a cool piece of furniture,too! well done!

amy

Rhiannon said...

It looks amazing with the stripes! It's got a great finish on it too. (bet you could do an amazing job on you own book nook with skills like that!)

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

That is a great makeover...the stripes really make it fun and unique. The picture your great aunt did is so cool too. Thanks for linking to my party. I love discovering new blogs!

Deborah March said...

Mmmm...SO chic!!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Those stripes look so great, and hey, if you need any more seating, you could always add a cushion to the top... :) I'm enjoying wandering around your blog and seeing your seating obsession. You have some great projects. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...