Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Our Pallet Project

It astounds me when browsing the blogosphere, the absolute magnitude of things you can do with the humble pallet! I love the industrial feel they can give to a room, or rustic and even modern depending on the finish you choose.

We turned to the pallet when we needed a way to display artwork and photos temporarily while we decide where they'll go on the walls. It was a joint effort, this project, I strenuously turned the pages of the magazine and found this exact project on it's pages and brought it to Tony to get started his approval! It was an issue of the Australian magazine Real Living, which showed the home of a scandinavian family, which I loved!!
In my defence, I did remove some of the boards off the pallets. Not an easy task, but you get to work out some frustrations with the hammer!!
Tone basically did all the work and I held boards in place (and supervised!) A very important job! And here's the end result, minus some photos and artworks so you could actually see the thing!




We used the nail plates that builders use to join trusses etc. (Don't know their technical name) This helped us get the industrial/rustic look we were after and joined some pieces together to get the height we wanted. We have high ceilings, plus it's a huge room so we needed something to scale.



Here's a couple of closeup's of some artwork I love. This is a pencil drawing of San Francisco by Don Davey (I think) which I got from a second-hand store. I visited this wonderful city in 2003 and this is a reminder of my time there!



And this print is of Salamanca Place in Hobart, Tasmania where very close by I was proposed to by the one and only Tony on my 30th birthday while weekending there! Another nice reminder of life's memorable moments!



If you like the little 'Come what may and Love it' art, you can print your very own here for free!! There's heaps of other cool one's too in fantastic bright colors!
How do you display your artwork and photos in your home? Do you hang them on the walls or in stand up frames? Or do you have something similar to our pallet displayer? I'd love to hear about it!

Hope you're having a wonderful day!!

Courts x


Linking to:         grabtt                           Tammy Link Badge

Furniture Feature Fridays


8 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

courtney, another super cool project! i LOVE it! you are so creative... keep it coming! :)

Tammy @ Type A said...

love this, pallets are so cool, this is so original, thanks for sharing it with me!

Revi said...

Ingenious! I love the pallet turned gallery, and haven't seen anything like it before. That portrait is SO cool! Is it a family member?
Thanks for stopping by Revisionary Life - I love it that we can be connected though we live half a world away. You're obviously creative, so I'm going to follow!
-Revi

Molly said...

That is extremely cool! I'm thinking of doing a pallet headboard in my son's room and you just showed me a great idea for a bookshelf! Super cute!

Queen of Chairs said...

I love it, lately I have been obsessed with pallets, and I think that what you did is a great idea! Good job.

Amy of The Salvage Collection said...

that is totally awesome. (do i sound like spicoli from fast times at ridgemont high???) this pallet died and went to pallet heaven!

thanks for your comment on my blog last week! glad i came by to see your fab creations!!

newest follower!

amy

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

This is a great reuse of pallets! the shelf looks great.

Melissa said...

Super cool and sweetly styled! Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...