Monday, 17 October 2011

Heirloom Half Table

Hi there!! Hope you're having a lovely day so far!!

Just thought I'd show you this little half table that's been in the family for a long time that I painted a while ago. It was my first ever attempt at distressing and waxing over paint!
I don't have a before photo but it had been painted white and then an ugly brown color to make it look like it hadn't actually been painted, when really someone was just too lazy to strip it back!! Yep, that'd be someone I'm related to!!!

So here it is:







And a little close up, (I was experimenting with my camera!!)



I really enjoyed painting this one as I learnt a lot. I'm not sure where to put it now though, it currently resides in our guest bedroom. It's a little too frenchy/romantic/olde world for my current taste! I do like it, I just need to work out how to style it a bit more contemporary! BTW the jug and dish are also family heirlooms!

What do you think? How could I style it differently to look more current (without re-painting it) I'd really love to hear what you think so please, comment away!!

Courts x

Linking to:
grabtt

11 comments:

Holly Do. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Love your use of strips on your projects, very cool work!

Bianca said...

you're doing a pretty awesome job at making these look loved. i think this would look cool with a big print leaned on it or hanging only just above it.

Catherine said...

I love it, but I know what you mean about the style not quite fitting with everything else! I have the same dilemma at the moment.

I agree with the previous comment about using art to modernise it, although I'm partial to maps at the moment, so that could look good too.

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

Cute cute! I think it would look cool with a funky mirror above it. One with a bold chunky frame maybe? And some modern white vases or glassware? Just some ideas- I like the way it turned out.

Queen of Chairs said...

I agree with what Rachelle said. I like the table! It's cute.

Kacey said...

Love it! You could try adding some simple white candles, a lamp, maybe a basket? Pinterest is a great source for styling inspiration!

Sophie from Grins and Sighs said...

Hi Courts, thanks for commenting on my blog. I would definitely lean an oversized print on it. Etsy could be a good place to start. I'm experimenting with milk paint next. Check the blog in a couple of weeks if you're interested.

driftwoodesign said...

Such a simple petite table but your finish choices make it perfectly adorable!
Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

Pretty Unique Furniture said...

I agree with all the girls above, great ideas! I think the idea of a big framed map sounds fantastic. I just love the colour of this table!
Tina

lauren @ West Furniture Revival said...

LOVE THE COLOR AND DISTRESSING ON THIS PIECE ITS SO CUTE.
LAUREN

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

I love the color- it's a super charming little table! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...