Thursday, 17 November 2011

Make-It-Yourself Book Ends

These bookends are so cool and super easy.


Here's what you need:

A sheet of 5 or 7 ply.      I used 7 ply, the hardware store can cut it for you
4 screws for each book end
drill
jigsaw
paint to decorate     I just used ordinary house paint. Whatever you have on hand!
spray polyurethane to seal

How to make it yourself:

First, work out what size you want your book ends to be. Measure the general size of the books they'll be holding up and make your book end measurements a little smaller than that. Also work out your design that'll go on the book end so you'll know roughly how big and what shape you need those to be.

To make 2 book ends you'll need 4 x rectangle shapes at your measurements.
Draw them on your sheet of ply and cut out with a jigsaw, or get your husband to do it like I did!! He rounded 2 corners on each one for me.



Next, you'll need 2 pieces for your design to go on


This might give you an idea on the size of my middle piece as I haven't measured it, sorry!



Now you will have 4 rectangles with 2 curved corners on each and two middle pieces for your design to go on. Sanding time!! You don't have to go overboard with the sanding, just take the roughness off. I did most of mine with a sanding block however some were a little too rough so I used my mouse sander for that.
Now you can paint on your design.



I drew on the outline with a pencil then filled it in with paint. Let it dry overnight at least before you start assembling.
All that's left is to put it all together. Tony pre-drilled the holes first.


This above photo is of the bottom. You want to screw the 2 bigger rectangles together first. They're the 2 screws on the right.
Then place your middle piece in and screw it in once from the bottom and once from the side...



You could fill in over the screws with putty if you were going to paint. I'm leaving them raw and you won't see any screws as they are either on the bottom or pressed against the books.

Now give it all a couple of coats of spray poly, letting it dry in between as per manufacturers instructions of course!! And your done!


If you have any questions, ask away! I'd be more than happy to answer them for you!!
Enjoy the rest of the week, I'll be back in the next couple of days with some news!!
Courts x

Linking to:
 36th WP Button Party

1 comment:

Hodini said...

We made one tonight. I think your are using 1x4's? My husband made me one with a 1x6 and that was too big. Very nice. Thank you for posting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...