Thursday, 1 December 2011

Something Small...

So, I'm selling some of my furniture at the Makers Christmas Market on Saturday and I figured I need some smaller stuff to have at my stall as well! I haven't done much smaller stuff before so it's been fun working on projects that I can get done in a couple of days...remember I have kids, one hour BC (before children) now equates to one day for me!!

I HAVE to do what I love, otherwise what's the point right? I couldn't expect anyone else to love, and therefore spend money on something, that I'd made that I didn't love. It wouldn't feel 'right' to me.

What to do?

If you've read pretty much any of my posts, you'll know I love furniture and I love stripes...so the obvious answer to me was......lamps!! They're kind of furniture, small and I can paint stripes if I so desire!! And I did...


desire some stripes that is!! Here's a little of the process for this one.
This lamp has a beautiful shade, just not so nice in the leg department. Just four little metal sticks really.




Oh, you get a glimpse of my orange dining table!! It's on my to-do list.
The shade is kinda like woven straw, not sure exactly what it technically is! I guess I'm not really a technical girl...I'm more of a 'wing it' girl! I like to think that what I do is art and there are no limitations or rules and regulations. Just let the creativity flow and be yourself is my motto!
With that in mind, I knew I wanted to create a modern, patterned look for this shade so I thought I'd give chevron a try.


No measuring here! I wanted it to look organic and non-mass produced. Embrace imperfections people!!



I thought it needed a little something else besides the white chevron, so I added the silver stripes...what?! Me do more stripes?!! Who'd have thought!

I cut off those hideous legs so I could use it on a more modern lamp base, which I also painted.


I think it almost has a beachy feel. I love the texture and the soft white almost blends into the natural color. I initially considered a bright color, but opted out of that idea because of the texture the shade has. I think it would have ended up too busy. What do you think?

Here's another smaller one I re-covered then painted stripes on...am I sounding like a broken record yet?!
The base was brass. Some people love brass. I don't. I painted it. I'm not apologizing, either.


If you happen to be from around Horsham or surrounds, please come down to the library on Saturday and say g'day at the market...maybe you'll see a few things you like!
If you're on the other side of the world...I'll let you know how it goes! After I've done a bit of this...


Cheers,

Courts x

Linking to:    Saved by Suzy

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I love that you added the stripes to the lampshade! I never would have thought to do that :o) And I love the pic of you with your feet up, chillaxin'

The Moerks said...

HI Courts, it's Deb here. I was lovely to meet you today. It's nice to know there are some other local bloggers around.
I was thinking you should show your furniture to Kaylene at Ginger and Co. Your white chairs are as good, if not better than many items I have seen in there.
I will let you know when the post is up. I haven't even checked the camera yet. I hope the market went well. Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...