Wednesday, 7 March 2012

A Chair And A Metaphor


I realized something the other day. An epiphany was had.

I discovered that I could relate how I was feeling or 'stuff going on with me' to 'stuff' in my possession.
And by 'stuff' I mean - furniture - of course!

Mainly this...


I have 6 of these chairs in my possession. And I love them.


I've had them for years now.
They lived in my parents shed for a bit, then a friends place, until we finally had the room for them.




Look at that tufting! I even love the color!!
I couldn't wait to have them stationed around the table when our reno was done.


Only to find that they're a little low for the table. You tend to eat with your elbows up around your ears!
So I've kept two at the table and stashed the other 4 in any available corner/spot I could.


 I was looking at them the other day and thought 'I love these chairs, I have since the moment I saw them. I waited and waited to get them in my home. I paid a lot for them. I really don't use them. Why am I hanging on to them?'




Then the epiphany happened. The chairs could be, perhaps, a metaphor for something I've been 'hanging on to' or unwilling to let go of emotionally.
A friendship that - like the chairs - I love and always will. That even though it had run it's course a while ago, I'd been hanging on to somehow.



Just Like The Chairs.



And so... I think it's time to let go.



I am letting go of the chairs...




 and saying 'thank you - I'm sorry - goodbye' to the friendship I've been holding onto.





Do you hold onto stuff that you could let go of, that you can relate to your 'stuff'?
Or is it just me?:)

Thanks for listening,

Courts x

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Don't make me get teary eyed before I've even had my coffee! Really touching.

I do love the chairs as well!

Catherine said...

I completely understand, it's hard to let things go sometimes. Hope you're feeling 'lighter' by letting go.

momto8 said...

a great analogy...because it hits home as truth for all of us!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you an.
I wonder...did you get rid of the chairs?!

Rachel said...

I love those chairs but I understand sometimes you just have to move on! I hope they find a great new home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...