Monday, 19 March 2012

How I Solve Bleeding Under Painters Tape


Its a bit of a pain when this happens...


 
when all I really wanted was clean, crisp lines like this!


 
So how do I go about fixing this problem?

Let me show you! But first, this only works when your furniture piece is having natural wood and paint treatment. If you're painting stripes in one color and the rest in another color like this...




well that's a whole other kettle of fish!! Maybe for another day!!


So here's what I do -
I use a nail and a small piece of medium sand paper...



wrapped around the nail



hold it like a pencil - gives maximum control. You don't want to sand any paint off and have to re-paint!


and sand it off.

Here's a close up before -

During -
Sorry for the sideways pics!! Not sure how that happened!!
 
And after sanding -
 
 

When you've got all the paint off, you can repeat the same process with some fine sandpaper, and finish off with some wax.

Instead of using a nail to apply the wax, I used my index finger wrapped in a rag -



Here the left has been waxed and the right stripe hasn't



Its handy to have a clean rag nearby to wipe off any you may get on the paint straight away

or

you could wax the whole piece if that's the look you want.

Hope this has been some help for you other DIY stripe lovers!!


End result - coming soon!!


Courts x

3 comments:

cheryl @ nefotlak. said...

great tip!
thank you for posting this.
cheryl xox.

Christina said...

Very good tip, thank you! I really like the idea of exposing the woodgrain in the stripes too, I can't wait to see the finished product.

The Moerks said...

Very handy tips there Courts, thank you. It was lovely to catch up with a cuppa and cake last week. I hope we can meet again soon. Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...