Wednesday, 2 May 2012

DIY Art


I decided to do something about all the blank wall space we have at home...finally, and created some wall art myself. Well, ok, Tony cut the ply and put a frame on the back for me.

Credit where credit's due. :) Thanks Tone!!

And this design is a blatant copy that I saw on Abigail Ahern's blog and fell in love, had to have it.
Or rather, had to make it! I am unsure who designed it or whose home it was photographed in ( I have a feeling it was in an Australian home :) ) but if you do, please let me know as I would love to credit them. 

If you don't know of Abigail Ahern, go check her out. She's an interior designer in London and I just love her style. She breaks all the rules when it comes to design. My kind of designer! And she does classes. If only!!




Looks a little crooked in the top photo! Wanna know how I made it?

Here's what I did:

 My Fast Five Details -

1.Cut a sheet of ply to the size you want, then attach four strips of batten with tiny nails - hammering them in from the front. This will help to keep the ply flat and also give you something to attach hooks to for hanging when you're done. 
2. I spray painted the whole sheet of ply black, it took a few coats.Then  used a drawing pin, grey lead pencil and some string to mark out my circles for the '8'
I measured the width to find the centre then stuck in the drawing pin with string tied to it, tied the other end to the pencil and ta-da - a perfect circle!

3. I then filled in the eight with two coats of white ceiling paint - allowing the appropriate drying time in-between.

4. The white drips actually happened of their own accord when I did the second coat, curtesy of a little water mixed in the paint :) The green drips I did by adding some green paint into a clean sauce bottle - the one that has a nozzle - and carefully squeezed it onto a chosen spot, making sure to un-squeeze before taking the bottle away so as to not put extra drips on.

5. Attach string to the back via two oval hooks and hang on the wall!


You  may have noticed that I'm going in a bit of a new direction lately with my creative projects - change is always good I think! It's something I love to do and happens pretty naturally for me.
You may or may not like some of the things I do - and thats ok! What I want to do for a project is not something I think about too much, it just kind of happens. I never have to debate with myself for too long about what I'm going to do to a piece of furniture.

So I hope you enjoy checking in with what I've been up to - even if it's not something you would do or have in your home!

I appreciate you reading!! xx

Hope your week is awesome!!

Courts xx

7 comments:

Bianca (ivylovesjack) said...

Looks great! x

Christina said...

It looks great! Isn't it great to do something different? I really need to be more like you and think less about my projects. :)

Deb Hrabik said...

Nice to meet you, Courtney!
I stopped over from the comment you posted on my dresser.
Love your style! Kind of Cozy Industrial. ?
I joined your site! Deb

Catherine said...

ANother one who thinks it looks great! I have lots of bare wall too - but have absolutley no idea what to do with it! But I think the idea of a plywood painting is great - now to think of a design to go with...

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

This looks awesome! I like the simplicity of it and the bold statement it makes. Great use of bare space. And thanks for the encouraging words on my blog- much appreciated! :)

5Bent Needles said...

Wonderful project Cortney, looks amazing. Well done!

leonedesign said...

Wow. I just found you and love your work. You might want to see what kind of work I do because I love circles, unexpected design... things that totally characterize your work. Love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...