Monday, 4 June 2012

Vintage Leather!!



I was very lucky recently to come across some small rolls of vintage south american leather in black and tan.

SOOOOO LUCKY!!!

My mind has been spinning with what to do with it. It's not enough to do a full reupholster of anything I've got here. So I thought I'd do a little test project to see how I'd go sewing leather.

This design may look a little familiar...




It is very much like this one I just did!! I must have crosses on my mind lately!

I used a leather needle and some tan upholstery cotton to sew the cross on and my machine handled the thickness easily. It was a fairly quick project...well, kind of!

Here's what it looked like before-


a grubby, fake white leather ottoman in need of an update.



A nice close shot of the beautiful leather -


I cut it out in three pieces as you can see...I wanted to use as little of the leather as possible :)

I used a drop cloth again and had to have a couple of goes at getting the top on right. It came together in the end but I'm pretty sure I may have dropped an F bomb or two during the process ;-)



I've also been experimenting with making floor rugs with drop cloths - just like Christina did!

I need a few more attempts until I get it right, but this one looks good in photos and from a distance!!
I'll keep you up-to-date with that.

Have you ever sewn leather before? What would you make if you had some? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Hope you are having an awesome week!!!

Courts x

Primitive and Proper

13 comments:

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

What an awesome find! I love the aged look. I had recently sewn some vinyl for some chairs I'm upholsering but was lucky enough to have industrial sewing machines to work with. I'm not sure if my machine at home could handle the vinyl or leather. But after seeing your success I might give it a try!

Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil said...

So cool! You find the best stuff! Must be because you are on the other side of the world:0)

Catherine said...

The leather looks great! What a cool find! I haven't tried leather before, I think I'd be nervous too. And I love the stripe rug, look forward to updates!

Queen of Chairs said...

I am loving the vintage leather! nice job

Christina said...

That IS a great find! I love the drop cloth on the ottoman too. And thanks for the mention! :)

Deb Hrabik said...

Courtney - Such a great clean masculine style. Love it. When I saw this post at "The Lettered Cottage" I thought of you. http://theletteredcottage.net/cottage-red/
You'll want to order the blankets like I do!!
Deb@LakeGirlPaints

Restyled Vintage said...

The ottoman is very cool but I LOVE the colour of that table, is that one of your projects?

xx Karen

The Far Fifty said...

This is very cool and the vintage leather makes it even better!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

love the leather addition! it's perfectly vintage!

lily field furniture said...

LOVE this look! Great job!

Kara @ June & Bear said...

i probably would have dropped more than one f-bomb. but it would have been worth it. i love the addition of the vintage leather. it really gives it more personality. great job!

Rita said...

I think you are brave to sew that leather! Kudo's to you! Great job!
visiting form POWW

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

Oh I am just loving that whole vignette! I love the mint green, the new leather on the drop cloth, striped run, and painting! LOVE IT! Super snazzy work on the leather!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...