Sunday, 5 August 2012

Change Is GOOD!!!!


Welcome!!

This is a very un-furniture related post today. (chair 4 is not as easy as I thought so I'm procrastinating.)
*warning - lots of words, no pretty pics of furniture :)

I would like to talk about something that has been on my mind a lot lately.

A LOT!!

Wanna know a little something about me?

Ok, you know I'm gonna tell you anyway - 

I'm overweight.


Yep and I have been for most of my adult life. When we had child number two, (2 years ago) the extra weight I'd gained didn't just naturally come off in 6 months like it did the first time.

Bummer.

So I did what most of us do - buried my head in the sand - and figured I'd do something about it one day.

Well my friends, that one day has arrived.

Well it arrived back in the holidays while we were at my parents house visiting. I noticed a DVD on their kitchen bench that had a before and after pic of a guy who had obviously lost a lot of weight.
I asked what it was about, to which my mum replied, "I'm not sure. It came with a magazine I got a few weeks ago."
I read the back and it sounded interesting, so a few days later we sat down and watched it.

O.M.G

It.Blew.Me.Away.

It was just what I needed to hear. Funny that!
Have you heard the saying 'when the student is ready, the teacher appears.'?
Well that was the case for me.

I will tell you the DVD's name, but first I want to say that I had been leading up to this for a while now. I've been doing loads of research into eating whole, non-processed foods.
Tony and I are both ready to make healthy lifestyle choices. We have and are still looking at why we over eat or, why we partake in emotional eating to put it another way. What things are we afraid of - fear is a BIG factor in being overweight - and how to deal with that.
So what we are now doing (which I'm about to explain) is to kickstart a new and much, much healthier way of eating in our daily lives. THIS IS NOT A DIET!

Ok. So you may have heard of this before (I hadn't) - the DVD is called 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.'
It is a documentary made by Australian Joe Cross who embarks on a 60 day juice fast in America.
Just to clarify, 'juice' means freshly extracted (by a juicer) fruit and vegetable juice and the fast is pretty obvious. He only drank juice and water for 60 days.
Wow! What a feat!!

But not only was Joe overweight, he also had a serious skin condition that required him to take a lot of tablets daily, including steroids.
This juice fast kick started his healthier lifestyle or rebooted him as he calls it. And that is exactly what it does. Reboots your mind and body.
Joe is now fit and healthy and completely medication free.
Its amazing how our bodies can heal themselves when given the right nutrients and mind set.

So, Tony and I are both on day 17 of our 30 day reboot.
We both have so much more energy and feel more engaged in 'life'. A nice bonus is clearer thinking!
And as for weight loss? I've lost 9 kilo's (just under 20 pounds) and Tony's almost lost the same.
I know!! Crazy right?!!

We've been having lots of these -

The mean green juice which we have twice, sometimes three times a day.

Recipe -

6 or more kale or silverbeet stalks
1 continental cucmber
2 celery stalks
2 green apples
1/2 a lemon peeled
1cm ginger peeled

The key is in the vegies! You have 20% fruit and 80% vegie juice each day. Good stuff!!

I think I've talked enough. I'll stop now :)


For more information :

If you live in the U.S, you can watch 'fat, sick and nearly dead' for free online here
If you're in Australia or elsewhere you can watch the trailer and get more info here
For loads more info and support and answers to questions etc. you can go here and check out the tabs at the top.

I'll be back with regular programming as soon as I get my 'much clearer' mind around the next set of chairs ;-)


Courts xx

P.S I'll keep you updated on the juicing too!!

10 comments:

Deb Hrabik said...

Good for you Girl!
And didn't you say your summer was around the corner...I know that helps me.
I'm going to try to walk 4 miles today,
Deb

Sue SA said...

Go girl, my intentions are good, but I never make a start. Do you have to exercise as well?

Bianca (ivylovesjack) said...

oh my god, 9kgs??! think i'm going to have to hear a bit more about this!!! the juice sounds absolutely horrible to me though!
those chairs in the last post are my favourite yet too by the way x

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

Wow!! It takes a lot of will power and determination to do a juice fast- I have a huge amount of respect for you guys right now. Go girl!

Kathy Moody said...

Wow! That is amazing! Congrats on the weight loss. :)

Catherine said...

I could have written those first few paragraphs too - always been a problem, but after baby two it became a little out of control. Really look forward to hearing about your journey, and will definately check out the links. Good luck!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

Good for you! Yes you are right... healthy clean eating is not a diet it is a lifestyle choice! When I am not designing or blogging I am in the gym and planning how to stay healthy by eating clean... I sometime think I should write a blog about it! Good luck with your juicing... and will for sure hit your reset button and it should be easier from there!

Decor & Harmony said...

Looks like you're on the right track! Good for you....losing weight is hard work but you can do it.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Wow Courts...good for you!!! Thank you for linking to the party. I'm curious about the video and want to watch it. I think so much of how we feel is based on what we eat. I know this is true, yet I keep eating the "bad" stuff. You are motivating me to change. Thank you!

Micki Sellers said...

i love my juicer! It's super yummy and just a little bit of fruit disguises most veggie tastes...except celery. You can ALWAYS taste the celery. Not sure why LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...