Friday, 28 September 2012

Re-Designed Dining Table


This was my big project while the girls were away and I completely forgot to take a before pic of this one sorry!! It is an old jacobean extension table that was very dark. The brief from my client was to lighten it up to better suit their home.

I'm so happy with how it turned out!! And so are they!!

There was a lot of sanding involved but it was so worth it - check it out!!




Yep, I sanded and waxed all that top, including an extension leaf!!


The base was painted a neutral shade - my DIY chalk paint of course - then distressed and waxed.

It's a huge change from how it looked before, and now along with these chairs, fits into the room so much better!! 
I've been so fortunate to work with such a wonderful client who completely trusts my judgement and gives me lots of creative licence! I've really enjoyed doing these pieces for her and her family - especially when the furniture has a history and is now looking fresh and new that they can enjoy them for years to come!

Have you got pieces around your home that you've had for so long and maybe don't particularly love that could do with a new look to get you loving it again? Maybe this weekend you could don your old clothes and re-vamp a tired old piece?!
One thing I've noticed since becoming a stay-at-home-mum is that we spend a LOT of time at home (obviously!) so it's been a big priority to be surrounded by things we love. When I was hairdressing, it was important, but with working such long hours it tended to be way down the list of things to do. Looking back now, when I was at home...I hated it. I found it really difficult to be grateful for what I did have, when nothing was as I really wanted it to be. Yet I didn't make it a priority and I'd always find excuses to get out of the house because it wasn't a joy to spend time there.
How do you feel in your home? Is it a happy place to spend time? Are there things you would change and would you make it a priority? Are you willing to change?

I'm just curious. Sometimes I wonder if it's just me who has these thoughts or if it passes through the minds of others!

Courts xx

Sharing at:
Primitive and Proper
Furniture Feature Fridays
Jed & Ivy 

9 comments:

Designer Table Mat said...

Really This is outstanding quality and looking. I like it.

Allison said...

what a great table!...i love my home and it loves me right back!.im lucky to be living in my dream forever home. but i do need to slow down with my vintage purchases or it will be a forever hoarders home!
so glad i found your blog through ivylovesjack!
Allison :)

Catherine said...

I love that table!!! The table top looks beautiful, I can just imagine your client being over the moon!

I have to agree with you - now that I'm home more I care alot about what fills my home, alot more than I did in the past. Problem is I don't have the budget to change everything at once! Small steps...

Simone said...

This is my dining table, and i have to say that it my favourite thing in my whole house (except for my husband and 8 year old son!!!!) Courtney is a very creative, talented, and most of all lovely person! I can't stop looking at it. I actually said to one of my work buddies the other day, "is it wrong to be in love with a piece of furniture??!!!" Because i totally am!!!! I also adore my olive green dresser done by Courtney, and have a few other pieces to keep her busy!!! Thanks soooo much Courtney xx

bec said...

can't wait to re visit your blog for more great diy tips....gotta try that chalk paint...amazing!
love your blog.
Bec x

Julia Konya said...

Hi Courts, Coming over from Primitive & Proper! I love all your furniture makeovers. On the top of my list is your outdoor daybed! I want one! I love black and white stripes too!

Rebecca said...

This looks great! I love the look of the chalk paint. Perfectly distressed. :)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love this one! that wood top is just divine! :)

LINDA said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon the blog and wished to say that I’ve truly enjoyed browsing the blog posts. my company

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...