Friday, 2 November 2012

Before And After: Kitchen Chair With DIY Chalk Paint



I seem to be on a bit of a chalk paint roll at the moment - I love it, however you do need to pick the right piece for it. This chair was perfect for some DIY chalk paint and some heavy distressing.
It now lives at our kitchen island and is pretty much used exclusively by the girls, which is why the look I gave it works extremely well. 
It can handle a few hard knocks!



I love mis-matched chairs in a kitchen/dining room and have so far only accumulated two stools worthy  for our bench.(You can see the other one here) They are hard to come by...plus I'm fussy :) Chairs for our table, on the other hand, are another story...I could seat 23 people around a table at our place at the moment!!

What is it with us girls and chairs?!
I know I'm not the only one who loves a chair or two ;)


Anyway, back to the chair of the moment - here's the before:



A gorgeous worn orange look that I couldn't wait to get rid of and an almost black was the color I needed.
I'm loving a hint of black in a room at the moment!
This color is called Klavier by Dulux and is a deep, rich charcoal...or black to the un-trained eye :)


That lovely sheen is curtesy of beeswax - my go-to sealer - which is the perfect product to go over DIY chalk paint in my humble opinion. Oh and you can read all about chalk paint and the recipe I use right here.



I distressed it with my mouse sander, concentrating where the chair would naturally wear first.


And when I get a hold of a decent camera - all my pics are iphone - I will take some kitchen shots and a bit of a house tour. I know I've promised it to you and it is happening!! I haven't forgotten :)

So that's my little before and after for today...hope you like it and have a wonderful weekend!!


Courts xx

Update - This was featured at Jed & Ivy!! Thanks Rebecca :)

Jed & Ivy
sharing at:
Primitive and Proper
Jed & Ivy

8 comments:

Restyled Vintage said...

Great job Courtney...I must try DIY chalk paint, I keep forgetting to! I'd love to see more of that white cabinet I can see a peep of in the thrid shot, is there an old blog post about it?

xx Karen

Catherine said...

Love it! The black looks amazing.

bec said...

I adore this..you have totally made this daggy old chair cool!
love ya work!
Bec x

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

oooh it turned out so well!!! i love love love the distressing on this- it looks authentic.

Sue SA said...

I am in need of a stool if you ever come across another one. Dont mind the black because it down plays the turned wood look and will nicely match the other stool...but I love it when you do COLOUR!!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Cute! I just recently did a stool in ASCP. I'm loving stools right now, great job with the distressing!

Rebecca said...

oooh! i love it! such a great little piece to have. unique. great colors.

Rebecca said...

featuring this today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...