Friday, 14 December 2012

Before And After: Upholstered Vintage Chair




Oh how I love this chair - this rocker chair that belongs to Clair!

I love it so much in fact that I own one myself that is very similar...except instead of upholstering mine...I painted it! Painted the upholstery that is, yes ;-0 You can read my post on that one right here.

Here's what Clair's looked like before:



It was actually a really cool color, but had just seen better days so Clair picked a beautiful charcoal grey fabric that is perfect for this chair. 
How about those awesome old tacks?! I tried to salvage them but most bent or snapped while I was removing them.
I also refinished all the timber so its much lighter and smoother and now, combined with the charcoal looks so much more modern!







FYI, I upholstered this chair the exact same way it had been done in the past. I took photos along the way as reminders and even some video's so I could give myself some advice along the way ;)
I did this because sometimes when you remove the old upholstery, it can be a while before you then start the re-upholstering - especially if you have kids like me - and the removal of old fabric always takes a lot longer than you think, so your plans to get to a certain point by a certain time then goes out the window!!

Have you ever attempted or would you attempt some upholstery?

Have a fantastic weekend!!


Courts xx

Sharing at:
Primitive and Proper

8 comments:

Allison said...

looks great! an no i wouldnt attempt it....too scarey!....im a wooz like that...im a "drop it off at the upholsterer" kinda girl!....so i guess you wont be my friend anymore!? :(
Allison x

Rachelle Falcon said...

Love how it turned out! The charcoal grey is beautiful

Bianca (ivylovesjack) said...

That is so clever! Looks fantastic.

Catherine said...

You've done such a beautiful job, the picture you've included of the side just looks amazing!

Rebecca said...

this looks great. i really want to reupholster something, but am a little too scared.

Clair said...

I LOVE IT! It looks perfect in our bedroom. You've done and amazing job Courts!!! Thank you so much!

Beth Mayberry said...

i have so many home projects and i am LOVING all your tutorials. I am going to start working on some of these!

Beth Mayberry said...

PS: I am a new follower!!! and it is so very good to be here!
www.untilonlyloveremains.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...