Friday, 4 January 2013

A Not So Merry Christmas



So Christmas and New Years is all over...and I for one am glad about that.

It was a tough one this year. I know it is for many people all over the world...kinda like how it is when you have your first baby - everyone so excited for you and how excited you must be and isn't it wonderful?
And for the most part, yes it is. But for some more than others - it's tough. Like Christmas. It is marketed as such a wonderful time of the year and it often is. Just not always and not for everyone.

Some families are broken, some are dysfunctional, some are dealing with loss and some have all three and more. I consider myself fairly lucky in those three departments, but now more than ever my thoughts have been with those families who find it tough at Christmas time.

Enough of that. I think I just needed to get that little bit off my chest. Thanks for listening!

So, we are about to head to the beach for a week and I thought I'd show you a few pics of what I've been up to...as well as get all of the above out ;-) Most of these are off instagram (@apprenticeextrovert)


These two above are taken in my hometown where we spent Christmas this year.


A gardenia in my garden at home...it had never really flowered before, but did just before Christmas. Almost all the flowers died over Christmas - This one is for Johnno...my uncle who passed away on Christmas day.



A during and after photo of our bedhead. It was one half of the old (old!) garage doors at our place (which we knocked down) that I'd painted glossy black a few years ago and has been our bedhead all that time.
I needed to do something so I stripped, sanded and sealed it over a few hours one evening and I am in love with it!! It's quite big so taking the black away makes the room feel so much bigger and lighter :)



My Aunty had been telling me she had some chairs in her shed that weren't getting used that I could have...um...yes please!!! There's four and they are teak. They need a lot of work - think they've got heat damage, not sure - but I'm definitely up for it!! LOVE!!!
Yes, I've already started on them. Enough said.


So I'll be back in a week or so...I'm kinda looking forward to hitting the beach, relaxing, catching up with a good friend of mine, bit of shopping and I'm getting my hair done too! A change of scenery and routine might be just what the doctor ordered :)

Take care!


Courts xx

11 comments:

Allison said...

Oh courts,that's sad about your uncle.to lose family at this time of year is extra rough.thinking of you.
Allison x

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

your headboard is amazing and i want to come snuggle there with you. :)
and i am so sorry about your uncle as well. :(
and i completely get what you are saying... for me christmas is still a magical time of joy but that's because i refuse to give into the commercial pressure and try to find the joy in all the little things that make it special, and that DOES make it amazing. who cares who buys who what, but making cookies to give to neighbors, singing songs with your kids- those are magical and happy moments.

Queen of Chairs said...

The headboard is sweet and I love that chair wished it was in my dining room. Have a wonderful vacation live it up.

Queen of Chairs said...

The headboard is sweet and I love that chair wished it was in my dining room. Have a wonderful vacation live it up.

Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Love the Bedhead, makes me want to layer paint on something just so I can strip it off! And I can't wait to see what you do with those chairs, I'm sure the will look fab.
Enjoy your break. Alison x

PS - have you checked out The Turquoise Iris blog? I was looking Earlier and some of her pics made me think of you. She has beautiful styling and fabrics too

Sue SA said...

Opps been to my home town and thought of you! And then was cheeky enough to drive through your home town on the long way to Geelong (going through Warrnambool makes sense when you are a quilter and there is a quilt shop n friends to been visited!) a week later! Have a great time at the beach, at least the weather is going to be appropriate...I had to wear my long pants n cardi while in Geelong and then we left for Adelaide to arrive home in 45C! Loving the bed head and really like your doona...must make a zig zag quilt!

Revi said...

Here's to a better year in 2013 for you - and maybe next Christmas will be better. Sometimes, I think we need a not-so-good one to make us appreciate the good ones. LOVE the look of your stripped wood, and those chairs, well, I can't wait to see what you do with them! Have you heard of treating dried out wood with oil and vinegar? I think 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar - I saw it on Miss Mustard Seed. It might be worth a try...
-Revi

bec said...

what a great head board, nice job.
I agree christmas can be painful and lonely for many.
Bec x

The Moerks said...

It's awful when you lose someone you love, I am very sorry for your loss. Hug the girls a little tighter and savor the precious moments. I hope you enjoy the beach and some respite from this vile heat wave. Deb

Catherine said...

I get those Christmas feelings too - it's a bitter sweet time. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, and I hope there were loads of happy times to remember.

I love the bedhead, and those chairs are gorgeous! Look forward to seeing what you do with them.

PS I'm little behind in my reading :)

Deb Hrabik said...

Courtney -
I am a little behind in reading this. So sorry for your loss.
Hope your trip to the beach was just what you needed.
Comfort and Hope,
Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...