Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Before And After: Mid Century Desk



I bought this gorgeous desk a couple of months ago because I loved its simplicity and those perfect mid century legs...plus it had an awesome price tag!! ;-)
It was the first non-custom piece I"ve done in a while and knew pretty soon on what I wanted to do with it, I just didn't know what sort of timber it was and if it was going to be worthwhile.


It had a gorgeous yellow varnish...a step up from orange hey? And that definitely had to go, but if it was pretty much anything but pine, my design plan could go ahead.
Turns out it's hardwood. Most of it is ply, but totally workable for what I wanted to do.


What do you think?





































I love how it turned out!! 

It tested my patience, that's for sure. But I think I won the battle! :-)


Some really quick deets are:

  • Sand that yellow varnish off! With ply, its the only way to remove it. The heatgun doesn't do a thing. Good thing I like sanding...don't judge, it's my thinking time. I solve all the worlds problems while I sand!
  • Make sure all that varnish is off. I mean completely, because if you leave any near where you plan on painting...and you think you can just sand it off afterwards right up close to where you spent countless hours painting triangles and still keep those sharp lines in tact...you are wrong my friend! (Do you see my lesson in there?? Might still be a sore point...)
  • Paint a drawer. Paint a handle.
  • Tape your design on the side and paint the shapes you can, then let those dry. Like really cure because if you don't, when you re-tape for the next shapes, the tape will take the paint back off. And no...I learnt that on a different project, not this one ;-)
  • Fine sand all over then wax that baby!! I did two coats.
  • Stand back and admire your hard work and imagine a child with a cool/modern bedroom (or even an adult!) sitting at this desk pretending to study whilst actually playing on their ipod/phone.


This one is for sale. I'll probably kick myself for selling it as one day the girls will need one and I'll never find one as cool as this. At the moment, there is no room anywhere for this to go. Believe me, I've tried!


Courts xx
Furniture Feature Fridays

14 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

tuesday i'm in love! that is AWESOME!

Rachelle said...

Gorgeous!! If I lived in Australia I'd buy it. :)

Catherine said...

This is completely fantastic Courts, and really a piece that shows off your signature style. I LOVE it. And I agree, perfect for a childs room, either boy or girl, that could take them through to an adult. The graphic on the side is amazing.

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

So TOTALLY AWESOME Courtney!! The detail on the side is fantastic. I can totally see this being in Anthro or Urban Outfitters etc. :)

Restyled Vintage said...

That's really cute now Courts! I love the blonde colour you've got going on with the wood, and that pattern on the end, awesome!

Katie said...

Awesome Courtney! Love the surprise design on the side!

Kylie said...

Love it Court's!
It makes me feel sick about the one we took to the tip!
(I know, STUPID!)

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

I think I could see just a picture and know that was one of yours. Love everything about it x

Sue SA said...

You sure your not a quilter, cos that great graphic on the side of the desk is SO a quilt pattern! Great job!

Reeves @ The Weathered Door said...

I just can't get enough of this piece! Geometric designs and mid century furniture just work so well together! love love love!

Lea said...

Absolutely love it. I have one almost the same in my boys room but not nearly as fancy as yours. Such a clever and creative revamp!

Clair McDonald said...

Love it- especially the side detail!! :)

Michelle @ rockMYroll said...

Wow I adore that - you are very good :)

jackbenson03 said...

This is a great idea! It looks cute but easy to do. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...