Monday, 12 August 2013

Before And After: Dining Chair


Hello!!

You may notice I have a new profile pic up...finally! I've been wanting to do it for ages as the other was two years old and I'm pretty sure it was ready for retirement ;-)
One of my personal photographers (Edie aged 6) took this one. Actually she took the last one too, when she was 4! She does so well to put up with her fussy mum! Nothing is ever any trouble for her, she has a big heart that kid.
Another change you might see is the addition of a 'Our House' tab at the top which has some pics (funnily enough!) of inside our house. If you are an avid extrovert reader, you may have already seen most of these already ;-) If not...you better click on the tab so you can check it out!


Onto the chair!!

I found this chair for $6 at a thrifty and bought it to do up for my parents, thinking it would suit their decor/style. I love spending big bucks on them...I'm just really good like that ;-)





I finally got around to doing this chair recently and we chose good old black with a matte finish and no distressing.
I'm rather in love with a matte black finish at the moment - its just so...good!

I can't wait to share with you just how easy this re-design was to do! It is something I've never done before and I'm so happy with the results - this baby's paint is stuck tight (read: durable!!) and with no sanding!! It was a pretty glossy surface and I didn't touch it with sandpaper - at all! And It's not chalk paint. I would only use that if I was going to distress it.

Intrigued??

Take a look first -







Nice, huh?!

Ok, so how did I do it without sanding?

It was so easy!

I'm sure you've already guessed that I sprayed it?! It's the easiest way (spray paint in a can btw) to paint a fiddly chair - you are limited with colour choice, but when black is the chosen colour...you're pretty well covered there!
And to get that black spray paint to stick...I'm sure you've also guessed that I primed it first - yes, but did you guess that I primed it with metal primer?
You can find it in hardware stores (I got mine from Mitre 10) and it'll be right near the spray paints. I used Dulux Metalshield primer which was grey in colour and is meant for metalwork projects. There are plenty of other companies that make them too, killrust for example.
I sprayed two thin coats on, following the directions for dry times, then...and this is important...you need to let it cure before you spray your colour on.
Yes, this is the only downside when you want to get a project done quickly, but it's why it makes the paint stick so well. You must let it cure. This can take anywhere from a few days to a month. How do you know when paint has cured?
Its guess work really. As soon as it's touch dry, touch it! Somewhere that you won't see if it leaves a print is best. Touch it a couple of times and get a feel for what it's like when it's not cured. It'll feel tacky and still smell strongly of paint. Check it in a couple of days, then keep checking it as often as you like until it no longer smells like paint and is dry and hard to touch.
Then spray on your colour - this chair took one can - in thin coats again, allowing the correct drying time between coats that you'll have read on the side :-)

Then it's cure time again. You've gotta let the colour cure, same as before. Then you can seal it.
I sealed with Annie Sloan clear wax because I knew it would keep the finish still fairly matte (which is what we wanted) and would protect the paint work well.
You could seal it with a spray polyurethane, I haven't tried it in a matte finish so not sure how that goes. But if you wanted a glossier finish, then I'd definitely use a spray poly.

I didn't sand between coats - mainly because I wanted to see how it went without it - and it's great! I think whatever your surface feels like before you spray paint it, is what it'll feel like after you spray paint it. If you start with a rough-ish surface, you may wanna sand first to get it smooth to the touch, then spray.

Another tip, while I'm on a roll - if you have a piece that is quite glossy and you'd like it to be not-so-glossy, you can use a spray poly straight over the top in a satin or matte finish and it will look so good!!
I've done satin poly over glossy paint work and it turns out so much better than if I'd just freshly painted and sealed it in satin poly. I don't know why...it just does!! Like I don't know why metal primer sticks to glossy timber furniture so well...it just does!




Well obviously I had a lot to share today and I hope you enjoyed my tips if you read all that! No hard feelings if you didn't ;-)

Have a fantastic week!!

Courts xx

PS. We had my mum visiting for all of last week and as she was about to leave I said, 'I was thinking that black chair would look good at our table.'  And now it is! She didn't bat an eyelid...she knows me well. Thanks again mum, I promise next time I find something for you I'll actually give it to you. Maybe.



5 comments:

Catherine said...

I LOVE your new profile pic! You look beautiful. Perfect :)

Love the black chair too

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Love you new pic, what a great photographer you have ;) I'm with you, matt black is fab and goes with everything. I did a couple of barstools for my hubby's work with spray paint but didn't top coat, maybe I should have, but they're holding up so far. Your mum missed out on a beauty :)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i was going to say the same about your new photo- gorgeous lady! you look amazing! and love the chair perfect in its new black outfit!

Deb Hrabik said...

Well, what a great photographer you have. Your new pic is so cute!
Simple. Matte. Black. well done.
I love metal primers for their stick too.
Have a great day,
Deb

Clair McDonald said...

Love the pic Courts, looking fab!!
The chair looks great too ;)
Clair xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...