Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Before And After: Kitchen Dresser



So much going on, so little time! 
So sorry (again!) for not being here much lately, I do have heaps to share...I'm just a little dis-organized. I tend to only be able to focus on one thing at a time, and for me lately it seems to be cooking!
I'm in my last week of whole 30 and it takes a lot more kitchen time to make myself three whole 30 approved meals a day. But so worth it!!
I'll share how I went (and what it is) when I'm finished, or click on the link two lines up to read a little of what it's all about :-)

On to some furniture!

This beautiful kitchen dresser belongs to a client of mine and came from a farm house - where lots of these types of dressers could be found in the 50's, or possibly earlier? I always think of this style of dresser as very Australian - simple lines, practical (a lot of them had square metal lined bread cupboards which would have kept the mice out!) and made stylish by the textured or stained glass cupboards at the top.

I imagine this one would have housed the crockery and cutlery though, rather than food.

I apologize for the bad photos...one day I might feel the need to buy a proper camera, but for now its iphone all the way ;-)








And the before...






My clients chose to keep the original hardware, which I was stoked about! I think new hardware just would not have suited it, plus I got to try out a 'removing paint from hardware' tutorial I'd stumbled across a while ago online that involves gently simmering the hardware in an old lidded pot on the stove for hours before rubbing and scrubbing the old paint off.
Does anyone else get excited about heating metal objects on the stove?! No?!
Then it's just me...I am a little wierd I know. And having had to do it twice to get all the paint off, it's safe to say the novelty has worn off.

This is the tutorial I used if you ever need to do this yourself.


Here's the before and after of the hardware -





 Much better!


One last pic in case you haven't seen enough...



This was primed first, then painted in a low sheen dulux white, then sealed with some Annie Sloan clear wax  - my go-to wax these days! 
I still love beeswax however Annie's is softer and therefore easier to use.

For those of you wondering how I'm going eating clean and exercising and well...really everyone just wants to know how much weight I've lost - which I can now answer because I 'fixed' my scales. Turns out they weren't broken...just needed new batteries. Hello to another blonde moment ;-)
I'll cover all that in my post (which is coming!!) about my whole 30 experience.
Sunday is my last day of that so that post will be up next week.:-)

Take care of you!


Courts xx
Furniture Feature Fridays

7 comments:

Catherine said...

I've been waiting to see this since you shared a little on Instagram - I love it. So beautiful. It's funny, as I was slowly scrolling I thought the yellow looked cute in the photo, but then when you see the whole thing it looks terrible with the coloured glass. And the white looks great! And the original hardware are all fantastic!

Rachelle Falcon said...

I really like how this turned out. The glass looks so much better against the lighter paint color. And thanks for the tip on paint removal!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so cute!!1 i love those latches!

Allison said...

love it! and yep the hardware makes it perfect. x

CraftyCanadian said...

Boiling hardware? I've never tried that. I soak mine in Vinegar. But it does take "overnight" to work on the really hard jobs.
This really reminds me of the one I'm working on right now.
Great job!

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Love it, the simple lines wouldn't have suited new hardware so its perfect. Must remember that tip about boiling, I didn't know that!

Ivana Petrovic said...

Boiling? Really? I must try that. Great tutorial. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...