Monday, 14 October 2013

Before And After: MCM Teak Dining Chair



Hi!

You know how you have those moments in life where a grandiose idea forms in your mind or you have a 'right brain' thought (the creative side) about a project and your heart beats a little faster with excitement at seeing the finished product?

Well I had one of those moments a while back about this MCM chair. (Mid-Century Modern for those of you wondering what the MCM stood for ;-)







Except the initial excitement only lasted about 10 minutes into making the upholstery for this chair...that was when I realized how long it was going to take me to actually finish one! 
I have four. Sigh.

But, then I look at the finished product and I think to myself, 'Maybe it was all worth it, Courts?'

What do you guys think?












Pretty awesome, right?!

And the credit for this upholstery  idea does not belong to me, I saw this on design sponge ages ago and filed it away for future reference. A very creative and talented girl named Jody came up with this after being inspired by an Anthropology chair she'd seen. 
You can visit her tutorial here. and check out her awesome chair.

Along with the denim I added some of my tan vintage leather that I'd been saving for something special.







Not only did the upholstery take an age, refinishing those teak frames added to the large time frame too.
They have seen a fair bit of heat in their day and were covered in blisters/bubbles. 






I initially thought they must've been saved from a house fire, but have since learnt that even the sun can do this to chairs over time. I've never come across it before and to solve the blister problem involved good old sanding...lots of sanding :-)





This front one above hasn't been sanded yet and the back one has. I then gave them two coats of matt polyurethane, followed by two of danish oil.




Much better now!

Tomorrow is my last day of whole 30, so I'll be back after that to let you know how I've gone with it.
Have an awesome week!


Courts xx




13 comments:

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Well if that's not the most fantastic chair ever! Love the fabric you MADE!! So cool. :)

Reeves @ The Weathered Door said...

I love this! It may be something I have to try someday. I went a little crazy pinning it :) Fabulous look and the leather strip may be my favorite part.

Reeves @ The Weathered Door said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Restyled Vintage said...

Omg Courts you've put some hours into that! Your sewing is immaculate, it's all lined up beautifully :) I've struck blistering like that before on pieces where I've used it to my advantage by just painting over it then distressing, adds a great grunge factor if that's what you are after...not on these chairs though, they deserved to be all smooth and beautiful! Good luck with the other three!
xx Karen

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

look at you go on with your bad self! i love it!

Deb Hrabik said...

Beautiful work! I love how you have that style of chair next to the large white hutch. Your style is always so great,
Deb

Veronica Moran said...

Wow, a fab job on those chairs. The leather stripe is perfect. Today I finished a mcm little bookcase inspired by the bookcase you did a few postings back. Thanks for sharing your creative ideas.

Veronica Moran said...

Wow, a fab job on those chairs. The leather stripe is perfect. Today I finished a mcm little bookcase inspired by the bookcase you did a few postings back. Thanks for sharing your creative ideas.

Lea said...

clever clogs the fabric is awesome and so is your lovely profile pic. you look so healthy.

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Gorgeous as always, love it so much. I'll have to show my mum your sewing, she loves it when they're perfect (random fun fact!!)
I started some MCM chairs and really need to finish them, you've inspired me.

Courtney said...

Thanks Veronica! Not sure if you'll see this, I usually email back anyone who comments here, but yours didn't have a reply address - I'd love to see your bookshelf!
Courts xx

Katie said...

It looks awesome Courtney! Love the zig-zag stitching on the fabric - very cool idea!

Rebecca said...

gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...