Tuesday, 25 March 2014

How-To Fix A Missing Piece From A Stained Table Top



I have a bit of a technical post for you today, so if you're not into the technicalities of fixing antique timber furniture...just have a quick scroll down and look at the gorgeous end result and then you can move onto the next awesome blogger's post in your feed! It's ok...I don't mind ;-)

Late last year I was asked if I would restore the top of an antique wine table that also had a small piece missing. I was a little nervous, having not attempted to fix something like that before, but I said 'yes' and was lucky to have an awesome client who helped me with how to do it! (She is/was a painter and told me how she would go about it, she didn't have time to so was happy for me to have a go!)

As well as to replace the missing piece, I had to refinish the top as it had lots of wear and tear, white rings and the like. Gotta use coasters for your coffee/tea people...its the only way to stop those white rings appearing. :-)

This is the table top after I'd sanded a bit, but before I filled that hole.




My initial concern was how I was going to get that same rounded shape, or lip the table top has with whatever product I used, and could I find something that would actually stay in there and not just fall out.
Then when I started researching products at Mitre 10 - resin was at the top of the list - I was told that resin could not be stained, but could be sanded just like timber. So now I had a new dilemma. I'd found a product that could stick and be sanded into the shape I wanted, but it was gonna stick out like a sore thumb because it was going to be white.

Luckily, my client suggested using pure pigment to tint the resin. And it worked like a charm!!






I used Knead It by Selleys and some pure pigment which I got from the local art supplies store for $4. I had to pick from about 4 or 5 shades of brown, so I just went with my instinct.
I grated the pigment into a plastic container, then broke off the Knead It and while I was 'kneading it'...I added some grated pigment in until I was happy with the colour.
With Knead It, you get about two minutes to play with it before it starts to go off, so I had to move fairly quickly.
I pressed it into the space and tried to mold it into shape as best as I could, then left it to dry.
The next day I sanded it with my mouse sander, (it was as hard as a rock!) then by hand to blend it into the real timber I then cleaned, dried and stained the whole table top.
Then all that was left to do was seal it, which I did with teak oil in a few coats to blend with the base of the table, which didn't need any refinishing done.






I was really happy with how it worked out and my client was happy, so win/win! It took me a while to find the fixed section to show her when she picked the table up! :-)

Hopefully I'll get to do something like this again down the track ;-)
And I'm hoping this was easy enough for you to understand, should you need to do this yourself one day.

Ask away if you have any questions?



I'm off to put girls to bed, then into the shed! Hope you're having a killer week!!


Courts xx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...