Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Before And After: Bathroom Vanity

This project has been a fairly long and drawn out one...mostly because I've had to fit this into my spare time...which is basically non existent! I'm really not sure how I actually finished it considering my current work load, but lets just say that miracles CAN happen ;-)

This vanity unit is for my parents who are upgrading their bathroom in the near future. (Well that's the plan anyway!) And their renovation initially didn't include a second-hand vanity...and really who does?! When you've put up with a crappy bathroom for as long as they have, you just want everything brand spankers!
And they were happy to buy brand new until I came across this in a local op shop.
It had a white top with an in-set basin which had definitely done it's job. I think it went straight to the tip, which is why its missing in this pic :-)
I may have done the hard sell on them - plus they had mentioned wanting to own something that I had 'done' so with this we are killing two birds with one stone!

This is my first vanity I've ever done and it is basically the same process as any other piece except I could not use my favorite beeswax to seal this one.
It has been sealed with a marine grade polyurethane in a satin finish - which I must say is more on the glossy side. But perhaps that's the norm for poly?

The top is made from hardwood floorboards that Tony cut and joined together for me...I did help clamp it though;-) It was tongue and groove boards so was fairly easy (for him) to put together. One day I'll get confident with the big power tools. I tend to rely on Tony to do all that stuff for me, but now that I'm getting more projects under my belt, I'd like to be able to do every single part of the process myself. Especially if it means I can get it done when I want rather than having to wait for a spare moment of his ;-)

Anyway, get ready for picture overload!

That's Edie holding a tap on the wall for me so you get the idea ;-) Mum and Dad are having an oval shaped (white) basin that will sit on the top so I grabbed the biggest bowl I had which looks kinda nice I think! Its antique and is from an old jug and bowl set that my Nan gave me.

The color is a discontinued color called soft black and I did a little light distressing on the doors only. The new knobs give it a little extra something special to!

Now back to the floorboard top - the width of the floorboards and the amount that we had didn't quite work out, which was a bummer but that's ok because I love a challenge! I needed about 30mm more to make it fit.

Because the old boards were tongue and groove, the only other tongue and groove I could get that was the same thickness, was pine. And - as I am learning more about lately - pine and hardwood look quite different.   Pine has knots and hardwood doesn't (thanks to the guys at Mitre 10 for teaching me that!)

So I had to paint it to look similar to the hardwood.

See what I mean...challenge!!

I took out my trusty fandeck (LOVE!) and matched the colour, grabbed a sample pot and painted it on.
I then straight away randomly wiped some black-ish paint on with my finger then pretty much straight away wiped it off with a damp cloth.

It turned out great!!

Until I applied the poly (sealer) which brings out the warmth/richness of the timber, to which hardwood has a lot more of than pine.
Which makes the pine strip now look a bit lighter than the rest.

Next time I'd seal the hardwood first, then match the color.

It doesnt look too bad. 

And it will be at the back so hardly noticeable ;-)

Looks better up super close!

See?! Can't even notice!!

Well...If you've stuck with me and read all of this - well done!! And thank you!! x

Mum and Dad...hope you like it!!

Courts xx


Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

love that color with the rustic top- perfect combination!

Anonymous said...

Love it Court, will be very proud to have it in our bathroom. Thanks xxxx

Catherine said...

Wow - that looks fantastic! I don't think you notice the different woods - you've done a great job matching them up! No wonder you've been so busy, your work is looking amazing! Oh, and the bowl is gorgeous too!

Rubylicious Bespoke said...

How beautiful, love the top ( which you did a great job matching) and the colour and finish is gorgeous. You really need to get into power tools, I LOVE mine and use them as often as I can. They can be a great tress reliever and give your arms a good workout at times!
Alison x

Sue SA said...

So nice to have one of your piece in your folks they have a "designer" bathroom!

Restyled Vintage said...

that is so cool...I have been on the lookout for suitable cabinets to replace our ugly vanities (yes 3 of them in our house!) but no luck yet.

So cute that your little girl held the tap up for your photo :)

xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...